Sunday, October 7, 2012

Rule #17 -- Zoom Out and Don't Sweat


"If you do not raise your eyes you will think that you are the highest point." -- Antonio Porchia

Are you ruled by the goals you have set in your life? Do you run by the clock? Do you have time to stop and smell the roses? In this 17th rule of the 18 Rules of Happiness by Karl Moore, he talks about zooming out and not sweating the details. 

Sometimes, we need to step back and take a look at what's important in our life. This happens to me once in a while. I get overwhelmed by the tasks I need to accomplish. I want so much to accomplish my goals that I sometimes get irritated when something happens to take my time away from my set schedule. But I've realized that if it's family that demands my time, I need to make time for them. They're the main reason for my being, for my working hard and for striving to achieve success. 

Life is short. We all know that. We don't know when we will breathe our last breath. So we need to enjoy every moment that we can have and spend with what's important in our lives.

I had to take a long hard look at my own life when my dad passed on two years ago. Somehow, I had to change plans. Things that mattered before didn't seem that important anymore. When you've experienced losing a loved one or even having that close call, it enables you to zoom out and not sweat the minor things in life. 

Remember to zoom out regularly and don't sweat the small stuff -- and you will be happy. 

Here's another happy song suggestion from Karl Moore... Fascination by Alphabeat! ^_^